2/21/13

be the change.

it is most definitely not a secret that i hate norway. [please don't focus too much on the word 'hate'. i use it like i would with meg ryan and kylie minogue's can't get you out of my head.] but i do not feel like i belong here in norway, and i surely cannot connect with norwegians.

lately i have felt this disconnect extra strongly, and it has put me in a somber mood. and i've felt a little hopeless. so there's that.

on with the point.

we all know the famous quote by the great gandhi - be the change you want to see in the world.

well, i had a personal epiphany the other day. these words just came into my mind, very clearly:

be the american you want to see in norway. 


so. that's what i'm trying to do. if i don't feel like myself (like the american i am), i better start acting like one. so that day i loudly said goodbye to the bus driver as i walked off the bus. and have been trying to do so ever since. and i smiled at strangers. my next challenge: compliment strangers.

i shall keep you updated on this american in norway formerly known as lene.

2 comments:

  1. come be the norwegian i want to see in america! how about that? and how about google hangout, dang it? miss you, lenny b. and leno is going to miss you too. you know... if he ever decides to wiggle out of me (it's looking pretty bleak at this point).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You. Hate. Meg. Ryan?!?!?!?!! What? How? I'm confused. About life. What is happening??

    Also. Proud of you. Keep that chin up. I love you!

    ReplyDelete